Language school iCan, Bratislava
Study Slovak and English languages for living and studying in Slovakia
(+421) 905 460 194
for life, studies and business
for life, studies and business

Other services

Nostrification (recognition of documents).

One of the conditions for the continuation of the educational process in Slovakia for foreigners -is the nostrification (recognition) of the document of previous education completed , if a citizen was trained in another country (not in Slovakia) . Nostrification implies the recognition of education certificates , which hasve been issued in a foreign country.

As such a document can be regarded:

  • Bachelor’s, master's, specialist, candidate of science or associate professor degree;              
  • A certificate of secondary school or basic education or a primary school report.

In relation to EU citizens a simplified procedure for the recognition of diplomas and certificates operates. For the citizens of third countries the standard procedure of nostrification should be applied for.

Nostrification for university admission
There are many opportunities for studies at Slovak universities. You can start with the admission to the first undergraduate course or to study a Master´s or PhD. However, in each of these cases you will have to go through the procedure of the diploma nostrification of previous completed education.
Thus, the need for nostrification arises not only when applying for a first undergraduate course, but also for the continuation of the educational process at the master's or doctorate level. For Czech, Hungarian, Polish, Romanian, German and Croatian diplomas automatic nostrification is provided.

In the case of admission to the first year of undergraduate education, educational institution should request the foreigners to submit the nostrification certificate of secondary education document. Often, the decision on recognition is submitted together with the application and other documentation within the period established by the university, unless otherwise provided.

By doing Masters, it is required to pass the nostrification of the diploma of the first degree (bachelor's degree), which was obtained in a third country. On the basis of the proposed documents institution has the right to offer additional exams to pass, the results of which will help you become a student of the relevant department. Proceeding to doctorate, you must pass the nostrification of the diploma of the second degree (masters, specialist´s or engineer´s).
For the nostrification of diplomas for the purpose of training, you will need the following documentation:
  • an application,
  • a notarized copy of the diploma, having an apostille on the original and translated into the Slovak language,
  • a notarized copy of the Diploma Supplement, which also has an apostille on the original and is translated into the Slovak language,
  • a copy of the identity document,
  • other documents required by the university.

Nostrification takes from 30 days to 2 months.

Nostrification for entering a school.
School education in Slovakia is divided into two stages: primary (basic) and secondary education. If your child is enrolled in a primary school (grades 1-9), then you want him/her to continue education in the Slovak school, he/she does not need the nostrification of documents. After graduating from primary school in a third country, for admission to the secondary school in Slovakia (or grammar school (gymnasium)) he/she would need the nostrification of primary education document.
For the nostrification of a certificate, the following documents are required:
  • an application; 
  • notarized copy of the certificate with the supplement having the apostille on the original and translated into the Slovak language,
  • copy of the identity document, 
  • the graduation certificate of the Slovak language course.

Nostrification takes about 2 months.

In some cases, the school requires to provide the so-called equivalence of marks assessment, which means marks transcription into Slovak equivalents. This process takes about one month.

Residence permit in Slovakia

Residence permit in Slovakia - a document that allows the holder to reside in the country during the period for which it was issued, as well as to stay in any country that is a part of the Schengen agreement, but for not more than ninety days. Slovak laws imply the following reasons for issuing a residence permit:
  • job;   
  • business;   
  • studying in Slovak schools or universities;   
  • family reunification;
  • civilians in the armed forces;  
  • EU Blue Card;
  • development and research activities;
  • special activities; 
  • the status of a Slovak living abroad.

Our students are legally entitled to a national visa on the basis of training courses for the period of enrolling to a semi-annual or annual language courses.

SlovakiaInvest Company holds a leading position in the area of obtaining a residence permit in Slovakia for any reason and is our partner in this matter. A key benefit and pride of our company is the successful resolution of disputed and difficult situations, due to which our employees are justly considered the best experts in the field of practical resolution of different cases and immigration legislation.

The application for a residence permit on the basis of studies is considered by the Migration police within 30 days from the date of documents submitting to the relevant department of the Migration Police. Applying for a residence permit is also possible at the Slovak consulate in the country of residence or citizenship directly or in Slovakia. The application may be accepted only if all of the requirements in accordance with the Law № 404/2011 "The Residence of Aliens," are fulfilled, which means that in addition to the application, the following documents are needed:

  • international passport,  
  • 2 photos 3 x 3.5, 
  • address of residence,  
  • certificate of clean penal record from the country of citizenship with an apostille on the original and the same from the country in which the applicant has resided for more than 90 days in the last 3 years.  
  • Financial insurance for a residence permit.

The cost of services related to obtaining the residence permit is 499 euros. Some packages include the service and a student does not pay for a residence permit separately.

Living in Slovakia

Slovak educational institutions offer their students the opportunity to live in a dormitory. This rule also applies to foreigners. Living in a dormitory or a hostel is offered not only by higher education institutions, but also by secondary and primary schools. If the child has not reached the age of eighteen, dormitories employ special educators, who help to establish the appropriate routine and schedule. Therefore, if you decide to send your child to study abroad, you can be sure that they will take good care of him. Accommodation in a hostel costs 50-150 euros per month.

Certain educational institutions offer a more comfortable environment for life in the "guest rooms" not only for the period of studies, but also in the holidays, but the price of living in them is usually higher than in a hostel and costs on average 130-150 euros/month.

If the university does not provide a dormitory, in such a situation, you can rent a flat or a house. The price of accommodation depends on the region of Slovakia, the district of the city, if the location is close to the centre of the town and other conditions. The most expensive cost of rental housing is in the capital city - Bratislava. Cheaper - in regional centres and other cities. In addition to the payment for accommodation you have to take into account the additional cost of the city transport ticket and the food, which will be about 400 euros per month. Our company is ready to provide its students with any kind of housing according to their requirements.

  • room in the house / flat: 150-250 Euro / month;
  • one-bedroom flats from 400 euros / month;
  • two-bedroom flats from 500 euros / month;
  • three-bedroom flats from 600 euros / month.


Employment in Slovakia

Learning languages at language courses, students have the right to earn money working 10 hours a week and they do not have to pay taxes or contributions to health and social insurance companies with the first earned 200 euros. There are commercial companies that employ mainly students and offer wages from 1.5 to 6 euros per hour. Also, foreigners with a residence permit in Slovakia based on the study can establish their own business or a company, and "work" as an entrepreneur.


Business in Slovakia

Studying in Slovakia, learning the Slovak language at the courses or having training at the Slovak educational institution, a foreign citizen has the right to run business at the same time. Affiliate company of our language school, SlovakiaInvest, - the market leader in the migration and business support for foreigners in Slovakia, is happy to offer its assistance in the registration of business. Running business in Slovakia is most often carried out in one of two forms: a limited liability company (called s.r.o.) and a private business (Živnosť).

Limited Liability Company  –  s.r.o.

The most popular form of commercial company, whose key advantage is the limited liability of the founders, is a Ltd. company. The owner is responsible for the liabilities of the company up to the amount of the unpaid contribution to the authorized capital. The minimum share capital in the company is 5 thousand euros; the minimum contribution of one party cannot be lower than 750 euros. The number of founders cannot be more than fifty, the minimum - 1 participant.

Not only a physical, but also a legal person can be the founder of the company, regardless of the citizenship or state belonging. Laws imply the following limitations with respect to the structure of Ltd. company owners: an individual cannot be the sole participant in more than three Ltd.  companies, the sole member may not be a company with a single founder.

Powers of the director of a Ltd. company in Slovakia can be given only a citizen of Slovakia, the other EU member states, the countries included in the OECD (Organization for Economic Co-operation), or a foreign citizen with a residence permit in Slovakia. To establish a new company to the point where it will be entered in the Commercial Register, the period of about three weeks is needed. In addition to the registration of a new entity, there is an opportunity to buy a new subject which has already passed registration in the Commercial Register of the Slovak Republic.

Private entrepreneur (PE) – (called Živnosť)

PE is a physical person, who is an entrepreneur acting on his/her behalf and responsible with his/her property for the obligations of the company to third parties. This form of business entity for small businesses, especially services that are provided directly by a private entrepreneur, is the most popular.

It has a lot of advantages, mainly related to accelerated registration (within five working days), trivial accounting system, lack of the need for share capital, but do not apply to foreign citizens who do not have permanent residence in the SR, as the Slovak law consider the last to be foreign individuals. Besides that the private entrepreneur obligations imply insurance contributions to the health insurance fund in the first year of activities, social and health contributions, starting from the second year of business. PE, compared to the company, is impossible to sell.

I have been working with this company for a long period of time and I'm sure they provide excellent services. I highly recommend to take the courses!
Sergey, Moscow
Best universities in Slovakia
  • Comenius University Bratislava
    Comenius University
  • The technology university Bratislava
    The technology university
  • University of Economics Bratislava
    University of Economics
  • Management University Bratislava and Trenčín
    Management University
    Bratislava and Trenčín
  • The Slovak Medical University Bratislava
    The Slovak Medical University
Where you can find us
Lazaretská 8 (the 1st floor)
811 01 Bratislava, Slovakia
(+421) 905 460 194
Find us: